Monday, March 27, 2017

OH San Diego

 On Saturday and Sunday, the San Diego Architectural Foundation organized the very first OH! [Open House] San Diego, which gave visitors the chance to visit 47 diverse buildings. Completely free and mostly self-guided--so fun! I only made it to two places...the first is the San Diego Opera Scenery Shop, where they construct opera sets and store props.











 Lots of things to see...

Then I went to the Banker's Hill area of SD to see the interior of the First Church of Christ, Scientist, designed in 1910 by Irving Gill, perhaps San Diego's most famous architect. The church was hideously "remodeled" and "modernized" in the 1950s, and it has since been restored to its former appearance.





So fun...I love to prowl around buildings, especially historic ones. Next year, I will endeavor to visit more than just two!

1 comment:

carmendarlene said...

Wow! I'd love to go with you next year. What a fun thing to do!