Tuesday, May 29, 2018

The Bee Rescuer (Me!)

 I have put out an oriole feeder filled with sugar water and with cups on top for grape jelly; they seem to go nuts for the jelly but not for the sugar water. I was refilling the jelly and noticed that a bee was "swimming" in the sugar water (the holes are obviously large enough for a bee to fall into). I quickly fished her out...
A note: we are having the weather described as "May Gray" (cloudy and chilly), and this was also at the end of the day. Bees need warmth/sun to fly, generally, so...

 First I put her on the ground...she was disoriented and sort of fell over. I then picked her up and put her on my hand so that my body heat could help warm her. She spent the next half hour drying herself off, each leg, her antennae, etc. I was very worried that her wings would be stuck (sticky sugar water!), but she finally opened them up.
As she started to walk around on me, I took her over to a sage plant--where her fellow bee girls were still working the flowers--and I put her on a branch. She hung on and walked to a flower. Yay!

(I went out the next morning, afraid to see a dead bee beneath the bush, but no!) Yay yay yay! 

No comments: