Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Capital Trip: Part Two

I spent several hours in the Smithsonian National Museum of American History...here we have Julia Child's certificate from the Cordon Bleu...
And her copper pans (from her reconstructed kitchen--remember in Julie and Julia when Julie left a stick of butter in the exhibit)?
A stuffed bison (poor thing...)
The First Ladies exhibit...not sure whose lovely accessories these are...
Michelle Obama's Inaugural Ball gown (very pretty in person, lots of delicate details)...
This is a silk dress worn by Mary Todd Lincoln (my fellow Kentuckian!). Check out how tiny that waist is!
A gown worn by Mamie Eisenhower to a state dinner...easy to guess--could that look more like a 1950s dress (I love it, by the way).
And...Dumbo!

Lots more, of course, including Dorothy's ruby slippers from The Wizard of Oz; a gorgeous display of Stradivarius instruments (cello to swoon over); pop-up books; and sewing machines. So fun.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Sooo much has been added since I was there last (maybe 15+ years ago). Funny they always portray Mary Todd as fat?? She looks to be tiny (corseted) from that dress. Ah, Dumbo. Still makes me cry, thank you Walt.
Looks like you are having a good time "hitting" the hotspots.
hugs,
kat

JuJu said...

I love the First Ladies dresses. I think they are so beautiful! Look at those shoes!!

word: colliess

I love the breed of colliess. My favorite one is Lassie.