Sunday, November 9, 2008

Kitchen Poetry: Day Seven (and Finis)

My sweet B. has been traveling. He just returned from Charleston, South Carolina, and he brought me several presents from the Charleston farmer's market: two jars of pickles (one of my faves, watermelon rind pickles, and some preserved figs that look fantastic). And this: a bag o'grits. Now, I happen to adore grits...I'm from Kentucky, after all! Look how lovely and yellow--corn colored, because the corn is coarsely ground--these are... And here they are about to be devoured. Delicious Sunday brunch: a foamy latte, scrambled eggs, soy sausage (or fauxsage, as we like to call them), and creamy, delicious grits. {That's apple juice, not beer, by the way!} It's been a very blustery day, too, so not too long after this was consumed, we had a delicious nap, snuggled under the covers as the wind blew and blew. The simple things, indeed...


4 comments:

raining sheep said...

Grits? I have no idea what that is! It looks like a short rice of some kind, but a little more porridge like in consistency.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed taking a browse through your kitchen poetry. From one kitchen to another!
Mary:)

Anonymous said...

Grits...I never heard of it, but if it is corn it mucst be delicious. I love corn in any way..
I like your pictures too.

Various and Sunday said...

Good lord! I have to crack up at the comments, with all due respect of course. I guess a Florida cracker like me knows her way around a plate o' grits. I have to say, though, those grits look just scrumptious all yellow and corny. Makes me wanna go black out a tooth! Hee hee! :-)