Thursday, November 20, 2008

Picky

A couple of weekends ago, my garden club was fortunate enough to be able to go on a fruit-picking excursion courtesy of one of our members; his family owns a ranch where they grow citrus, avocados, persimmons, pomegranates... Here are the citrus trees and (I think, up on the hill) the avocado trees. It's not time to harvest either of those crops right now. But oh my--the persimmon trees were certainly ready for picking... these are Fuyu persimmons; the Hachiya variety needs to be soft before harvesting/eating, while these can be eaten right off the tree, like an apple. And we did! Yum. And the pomegranates...they were not as plentiful as the persimmons, in part because I think they just AREN'T as prolific, plus these trees froze a few years ago and had to be cut way back. Lovely and luscious!
It was really so very much fun to be out in such beautiful scenery picking fruit--in our shirtsleeves--in November. (Yes, I know, I'm extremely fortunate to live where I do!) We followed up the harvest with Mexican food and a few other stops along the way. To be continued...
And I'll also share photos of my fruit-pickin' bounty in a future post...

No comments: